With just six days left in Christmas, I want share this mouth watering easy to make treat that will be easy to make and is healthy. I came across this recipe on Christy Jordan’s Southern Plate.
- 8 ounces softened fat free cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons I Cannot Believe It’s Not Butter softened
- 7-8 cups cane sugar (start with 7, reserve 1 cup for dipping later; I use organic cane sugar but you can also use confectioner’s sugar)
- 4-6 drops peppermint oil
- Place softened cream cheese, butter, and peppermint oil in a large mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer until fluffy.
- Add 7 cups of sugar and beat again until dough like in consistency. It will seem stiff and dry at first but after a minute or two it will come together. If it is too dry to form balls after you are done mixing (this is rare), add in a tablespoon of fat free milk and mix again.
- Form into small one inch balls and place on waxed paper.
- Roll each ball into sugar and flatten slightly with your fingertip, a fork, the back of a spoon, or a tiny seasonal stamp (something like this).
- Allow mints to dry for a few hours before storing. If they will be eaten in a day or two, I leave them out at room temp in an airtight container. For longer storage, place in the refrigerator.
This is a great treat to make with your family. After all, togetherness is a great holiday treat. Happy reading.