My sister loves burger. However, as a family we wanted to cut down on red meat so I have been looking for some healthy and tasty vegetarian alternative for us to try. Through my search I came across this diabetic friendly chickpeas burger at Diabetes Forecast Magazine. This came out to be even better because my parents are diabetic, so I can make it for them as well. Hope you enjoy this healthy vegan recipe. The recipe makes 4 burgers with 15 minutes preparation time and 15 minutes cooking time. Happy reading.
- 2 tablespoon of olive oil, divided
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 tablespoon of minced celery
- 2 tablespoon of minced red bell pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoon of curry powder
- ½ teaspoon of kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon of ground cumin
- Pinch of ground cayenne pepper
- 2 cups of canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 ½ cups of bread crumbs
- In a skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add the celery, red pepper, parsley, and garlic and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the curry powder, salt, cumin, black pepper, and cayenne and remove the skillet from the heat.
- Puree the chickpeas in a food processor or blender. Pulse until you have a coarse puree, adding a little water if necessary. In a mixing bowl, combine the chickpea puree, the vegetable mixture, and the bread crumbs and mix well.
- Form the chickpea mixture into 4 patties. Heat the remaining oil in a heavy skillet, preferably cast iron, over medium-high heat. Add the patties to the skillet and cook for 5 to 6 minutes per side.
- Serve the burger patties as you prefer.
Each patty has 225 calories with 8 g of total fats (1.2 g saturated fat), 33 g of carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 5 g sugar, 0 mg of cholesterol, 345 mg sodium, 230 mg potassium, 6 g protein, and 105 mg phosphorous. This is a great, healthy meal to serve to kids as well. Please let me know much you love much this vegan, burger.
2 thoughts on “Vegetarian Chickpeas Burger”
This looks awesome! Will definitely try this. Thanks for sharing 🙂
Hope you like it. Let me know how it turns out.