Hi There! Today, I will share with you the thai tom kha gai or coconut soup that I made the past weekend. I served it with corn tortilla for dinner and it came out really well. You can make it tofu to make it vegetarian instead of breast, which is what I have used here. I hope you like it has much I have enjoyed making it. Most of the items can be found in your local Asian grocery store.
- 6 oz chicken breast sliced into bite size
- 2 kafir lime leaves or lemon leaves cut in half
- 1 lemongrass stalk (need 5-6 slice)
- 1 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 3-4 fresh or sliced galangal (need 5-6 slice)
- 1 1/2 chicken stock
- 1/2 cup mushroom sliced
- 1/3 cup fish sauce
- 1/3 cup lemon or lime juice
- 3 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1-3 fresh thai chilies cut in half (depending on how spicy you want them)
- 1-2 tbsp chili oil
- 1 green onion thinly sliced
- Add the chicken stock in a pot.
- Add the lemongrass and lime/lemon leaves.
- Let it simmer for 5-6 minutes.
- Add cilantro.
- After the stock start boiling, add the chicken, fish sauce, and sugar.
- Let it boil for 5-6 minutes until the chicken is completely cooked.
- Add the coconut milk.
- Add mushrooms.
- Put it in medium while it is boiling for 5-6 minutes.
- In the serving dish add lemon or lime juice, chili oil, green onion, and then fresh thai chilies.
- Add the soup on top.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro.
Again, you can substitute chicken with tofu for vegetarian dish, or shrimp for seafood dish. Additionally, you can add more vegetables of your choices, such as carrots, and cabbages.
———————————– Happy Reading ———————————-