I got this wonderful recipe at the Chocolate-covered Katie website, who turned this traditional holiday treat into a healthy protein-rich recipe and today I want to share that recipe with you. Hope you enjoy that recipe. I used fat free lactose free milk.
- 1 cup fat free lactose free milk (1 can do 1/2 milk and 1/2 Silk creamer for a deliciously-rich shake; you can substitute full-fat coconut milk for non-diary vegan version)
- 1/2 cup Mori-Nu silken-firm tofu
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice (omit if desired)
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 tsp splenda or sugar
- 1 nunaturals stevia packet, or 1 tbsp sugar (or evaporated cane juice, coconut sugar, etc.)
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp each nutmeg and ginger
- tiny dashcloves
- Combine all ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Drink cold, or heat if desired. Recipe is single-serving and can be sugar-free, dairy-free, vegan, cholesterol-free, low-fat, and gluten-free. And no raw eggs!
When I think of Ratatouille I think of the cartoon with the genius chef rat. However, Ratatouille is a is a traditional French Provincial stewed vegetable dish, originating in Nice. It usually a side dish but can be served as a main dish with pasta, rice or bread. Let me start by confessing and saying that I am not the best cook. Actually I don’t like cooking at all because of all the time it takes. I like enjoying what other, talented people cook/prepare. That said, I was able to cook to dish few times and serve it with side of gluten free organic brown rice. It’s pretty easy to prepare and this one-dish recipe will show you that it’s very easy to eat and is quite delicious.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 12 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into thin strips
- 2 zucchini, about 7 inches long, unpeeled, thinly sliced
- 1 small eggplant, peeled, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, rinsed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 lb fresh mushrooms, rinsed, and sliced
- 1 can (14 1/2 0z) whole peeled tomatoes, chopped (I substitute with I small box of halved cherry tomatoes)
- 1/2 Tbsp garlic, minced (about 1 clove)
- 1/2 tsp dried basil, crushed
- 1 Tbsp fresh parsley, rinsed, dried, and minced
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- Heat oil in a large nonstick pan. Add chicken, and saute for about 3 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Add zucchini, eggplant, onion, green pepper, and mushrooms. Cook for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomatoes, garlic, basil, parsley, and black pepper. Stir and continue to cook for about 5 minutes. Serve warm.
Tip: Serve with a side of whole-wheat pasta.
This will yield about 4 servings with 266 calories and 8 g of total fag and 2 g of saturated fat, 66 mg of cholesterol, 253 mg of sodium, and 6 g of total fiber.
Let me know how you served your own dish of chicken ratatouille. Happy cooking.