Hi there my lovelies! Hope you are doing well. Today, I will share with a healthier adaption of a recipe for a dish that is very close to my heart. I have enjoyed this many times at the dad’s old restaurant and I have made this dish few times myself. I am talking about my favorite Butter Chicken. The traditional recipe is rich and creamy. Today, I will healthier. Hope you enjoy making your favorite version. I look forward to hearing your comments. Happy reading.
- 1 cup I Cannot Believe It’s Not Butter, divided
- ½ cup melted butter
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 (15 ounces) can tomato sauce
- 2 1/2 cup fat-free half and half milk (I have substituted for the traditional half and half)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized chunks (I use boneless chicken thighs as well.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (you can use peanut oil for a healthier version)
- 2 tablespoons tandoori masala
- Naan (Indian flatbread) and/or cooked Basmati Rice
- Equipment: Meat mallet or rolling pin, Microplane
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Melt a few tablespoons of butter in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in onion and garlic, and cook slowly until the onion caramelizes to a dark brown, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile melt the remaining butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat along with the tomato sauce, half and half, salt, cayenne pepper, and garam masala. Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to medium-low; cover, and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then stir in caramelized onions.
- While the sauce is simmering, toss cubed chicken breast with vegetable oil until coated, then season with tandoori masala and spread out onto a baking sheet.
- Bake chicken in preheated oven until no longer pink in the center, about 12 minutes. Once done, add the chicken to the sauce and simmer for 5 minutes before serving.
Hope you enjoy making your healthy version of my favorite dish. Let me know if you made any changes that worked for you. Don’t forget to check out my Facebook Page and follow me on Instagram @allaboutme3181. Are you on Bloglovin? Let’s add each other. Please follow me and comment below with your information so that I can follow you back.
———————————– Happy Reading ———————————-
Follow my blog on Bloglovin
2 thoughts on “Healthy version of Butter Chicken”
Looks delicious…….will try it 🙂
Let me know how it turns out!