Hi there! With only 39 days to Christmas and 9 days to Black Friday, I know you may be already thinking about the extra weight that may come with this wonderful season. Yes, I am talking about the elephant in the room, weight gain from the all the festive food of the season. That’s why I want to share with you 10 great guilt-free superfoods that you can actually help you lose weight. These foods, along with exercise, will give you an extra boost to your weight lose plan.
- Avocado: It’s prized for its high nutrient value and is added to all sorts of dishes due to its good flavor and rich texture. It is also the main ingredient in guacamole. Avocados are heart healthy, and are very nutritious, containing a wide variety of nutrients, including 20 different vitamins and minerals. They are also very high in potassium, which should support healthy blood pressure levels. Additionally, they tend to be high in fiber, about 7% by weight, which is very high compared to most other foods. Fiber can have various important benefits for weight loss and metabolic health. Numerous studies have found that a predominantly plant-based diet that includes foods such as avocados can help to decrease the risk of obesity, diabetes, heart disease and overall mortality while promoting a healthy complexion and hair, increased energy and overall lower weight. Hence, when you go to your grocery store, grab some avocados.
- Almonds: These superfoods are not only packed with protein and skin-boosting vitamin E, they also have high fiber content that stops you feeling hungry. In 2007, researchers at Purdue University also reported that – despite the fact they are relatively high in calories – almonds themselves do not contribute to belly fat. Hence, swap out your usual mid-morning snack for a handful and see if it makes a difference.
- Leafy Greens: These vegetables are full of fiber along with vitamins, minerals, and plant-based substances that may help protect you from heart disease, diabetes, and perhaps even cancer. In general, the deeper the green the more nutritional firepower the leaves contain. If you need more incentive to toss bunches of kale, spinach, or lettuce into your grocery cart, a daily serving of leafy green vegetables may lower your risk of type 2 diabetes by 14 percent, according to a recent study in the British Medical Journal. As best put by Glamour Magazine, the quickest way to flatten a stubborn stomach? Include a portion of leafy green vegetables at every meal.
- Oats: These superfoods are rich in fiber, so a serving can help you feel full throughout the day. It also contains healthy carbs that boost metabolism and burns fat. So, just add plain oats to vitamin D rich yogurt as part of a low-calorie diet to provide your body with slow-release, natural energy throughout the day, which keeps you feeling fuller for longer and can even lower your cholesterol. As described in Livingstrong, how you serve your oats can have a big impact on their weight-loss benefits. Hence, just stick to flavorings that add nutritional value and promote fat loss, and avoid sugary or fatty toppings (such as maple syrup) that add lots of calories. Boost your oats’ fiber content by adding a handful of berries — raspberries, blackberries, blueberries or strawberries — for only 25 to 40 calories per half-cup.
- Beans: Beans are great source of wonderful nutrients such as proteins and fibers, and are low in calorie. It will it keep you full longer and are full of slow release energy. It’s high protein content will help firm up your muscles and keep you toned. I love having bean salad with sliced avocados to only provide energy all but also aid in weight loss. Swap your burgers for burritos, and your beef chilli for bean chilli.
- Salmon: Salmon have some qualities that can help you lose extra pounds. Its nutrient-dense calories are easy to work into your daily goals, and it’s packed with protein. As an extra benefit, salmon’s omega-3 fatty acids is heart healthy and may help increase weight loss. Moreover, the fish oil you’ll get from eating salmon may boost your weight loss. In one study published in International Journal of Obesity in October 2007, young, overweight men who ate fish or took fish oil supplements lost 2 more pounds over four weeks than participants who did not consume fish.
- Green Tea: Next time you go to Starbucks you may want to swap your regular Frappuccino with Green tea lemonade with honey. Green tea has been found to speed up the metabolism, which can aid the burning of excess fat in the body. It is also loaded with antioxidants and various substances that are beneficial for health. Swap your morning coffee with this superfood to help jump start your weight loss.
- Coconut Oil: Coconut oil is a tropical oil that is made from the dried fruit (nut) of the coconut palm tree. Proponents say that it contains a healthy type of saturated fatty acid (lauric acid) that your body quickly burns for energy. According to Mayo Clinic, few small studies that have looked at coconut oil for weight loss suggest that coconut oil may help reduce waist size, but it doesn’t lead to significant weight loss or improved body mass index (BMI). However, remember this superfood is high in calorie, hence, you should use less.
- Berries: Berries are great source of antioxidants that essentially act like little bodyguards protecting cells from damage, which can lead to premature aging and disease. But antioxidants are also linked to weight control. Some exciting new research from the University of Florida found that people who consume more antioxidants weigh less, even when they don’t eat fewer calories. So add of berries to your smoothies or your breakfast oat to boost your weight lose regimen.
- Quinoa: This superfood is known as a complete grain, combining protein, fiber, B vitamins and complex carbohydrates all in one. Eating grains like quinoa will help to boost your metabolism, and burn belly fat faster. Although there are no human studies looking at the effects of quinoa on weight loss, quinoa contains all the necessary properties that have been linked to weight loss and improved health. Additionally, one animal study, published in Physiology & Behavior, found that mice fed a quinoa extract high in 20-hydroxyecdysone burned more calories throughout the day, and they absorbed less fat from their diets. Hence, try swapping your rice diet with this superfood. However, remember that quinoa is high in calories, so it’s important to practice portion control if you want to lose weight.
Hope you enjoy reading this article as much as I loved writing it. Please let me know what superfood you use in your diet to speed up your weight loss.
Don’t forget to check out my Facebook Page and follow me on Instagram @allaboutme3181.
———————————– Happy Reading ———————————-