It’s almost Halloween time! When you think that the election could not get scary enough, the spooky day that can lead to tooth decay is lurking behind us. Why not make Halloween fun and healthy all the inner kids in us. I found some great recipes and wanted to share them with you,
This is a fun little project that can be done with kids. It only takes few minutes to make.
- 6 hotdogs (I use Applegate Farm’s the Great Uncut Beef Hotdogs – 110 cal, Trader Joe’s Uncured Chicken Hot Dogs – 60 cal, Applegate organic turkey frank – 60 calories, Lightlife Foods’ fat-free Smart Veggie Dogs – 45 cal).
- Romaine Lettuce leaves.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil.
- Cut hot dogs in half. To make the ‘legs’ of the octodog, make 3 cuts on 1 side of each hot dog, leaving about 1/3 the rounded top of the hot dog for the ‘head’. Turn hot dog over and make 3 more cuts, so you have 8 ‘legs’.
- Place the octodogs in the boiling water until cooked through and the ‘legs’ curl up, about 1 minute.
- You can use sesame seeds or bits of nori (dried seaweed) to create little faces on the octodogs if you wish. Use different sizes of hot dogs to create different sized octodogs! I also add relishes and diced tomatoes to add
Silly Apple Bites
This is another fun little project to do that is healthy and is delicious.
Ingredients for Googly Eyes:
- 1 c. powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp. corn syrup
- 2 tsp. nondairy milk
- ¼ tsp. almond extract (or vanilla extract)
- mini nondairy chocolate chips
Instructions for Googly Eyes:
- Whisk together the powdered sugar and cornstarch. Add the remainder ingredients except for the chocolate chips and mix until combined. It should be a thick paste at this point.
- Place into either a piping bag or Ziploc baggie and pipe dots into one row onto a baking sheet lined with wax paper. Gently top each dot with the mini chocolate chip–you don’t want to wait too long to place the chocolate chip in the middle or it will set.
- Repeat until all the paste is gone.
- Allow the googly eyes to set for at least 24 hours on your counter.
Ingredients for Apple Bytes:
- 2 green apples, each quartered
- sunflower butter
- 32 sunflower seeds
- 2-3 strawberries, sliced
- 1-2 homemade vegan googly eyes per apple bite
Instructions for Apple Bytes:
- Cut the middles out of each quarter of the apple to create a mouth. Don’t worry about perfection, you are filling this gap with sunbutter anyway so if you cut too deep, you can always just cover it up and no one will know.
- Coat the inside of the cut gap with a filling of sunflower butter.
- Place 4 sunflower seeds on the top of the “mouth” for the teeth.
- Place 1 sliced strawberry inside the mouth for the tongue.
- “Glue” each eye above the mouth with a dab of sunbutter to stick.
- Serve and enjoy.
- Reduced-fat mozzarella cheese sticks (I use fat free version)
- Pretzel sticks
- To make the broom, slice the mozzarella stick across in thirds.
- Use a knife or scissors to cut a fringe pattern on the lower half of the cheese.
- Insert a pretzel stick into the cheese, making the broomstick.
- Tie a chive around the top.
Hope you enjoy the recipe as much I have enjoyed making it. Have a wonderful Halloween.
———————————– Happy Reading ———————————-